Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Newton's Laws, my journey

Sir Isaac Newton is most famous for discovering gravity and his three laws of motion.  Most recently, my Physics class has been learning about Sir Isaac Newton's laws, and learning about how they work.  Newton's First Law describes an object at rest tends to stay at rest, and object in motion tends to stay in motion, unless acted upon.  Both of these scenarios describe equilibrium.  Newton's second law is describes acceleration, or an object that is not in equilibrium.  Acceleration is caused by the amount of force that is exerted on an object, and the more mass an object has, the force is needed to move it.  Finally, Newton's third law states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.  For example, when a cat traps a mouse's tail on the floor, the floor exerts an equal and opposite force on the cats paw.

I have found that second law problems are the most difficult because they involve acceleration.  First Law problems are easier because they are in equilibrium and they variables on the axis equal zero and Third Law problems are also simple, because there is little math involved and the answer is in the problem.  Second Law problems are much more challenging because of the amount of work needed to complete them.

Throughout the course of the year, I have noticed that I learn things at a slower pace than my teacher teaches it.  Mrs. Gende goes boom, boom, boom ready, next thing.  I thought that I was just horrible at Physics until I got an A on my exam when I was getting low Bs on my test.  I realized that I really need to motivate myself to get better grades in Physics if I am going to be successful in High School.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog posting was very thorough and informative. Overall it was very entertaining. The only suggestion I have is maybe use more organization for the order. You are kind of jumping around between the laws and there would be more flow if you talked all about one law and then move on to the next. This really only applies in the second paragraph. I loved this posting though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall your posting is good. There are some items that need to be refined.
    Regarding N1L, you say that objects in motion, stay in motion. Is that always the case? what type of motion are we talking about? what if the object is moving in a circle? Please be sure to complete your sentence: "unless acted upon", upon what?
    The basics of N2L are clearly explained but there needs to be a discussion about the different applications we studied such as apparent weight, pulley systems and friction.
    You provided a nice example of N3L.
    For the problem solving skills you need to write about a specific example to illustrate any weaknesses and strengths.
    Looking forward to reading your final posting!

    ReplyDelete